In the current circumstances unfortunately I am unable to take on any new clients. However, I am very happy to take telephone enquiries and to discuss your situation. I can also point you in the direction of online resources. See contact details at the foot of this page.
I am a qualified counsellor and an accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP), which is the UK’s leading body for talking therapies. As a member of the BACP I adhere to their Ethical Framework for Good Practice. Accreditation is a rigorous application and assessment process, and recognises the achievement of high standards of knowledge, experience and development as a counsellor.
My work has always been with people, firstly as a secondary school teacher and then as an RSPCA Education Adviser. During this time I became increasingly aware that although there is plenty of attention paid to the “external” aspects of people’s lives such as education, many people become isolated in their own internal worlds, the world of feelings, thoughts and beliefs. This sense of isolation can result in unhappiness and confusion. I wanted to understand more about this, so I returned to education and retrained as a therapeutic counsellor. I now work mainly with young people from secondary school age up to mid twenties, and also with adults. It is my belief that our childhood has a profound effect on our adult lives and many issues that affect us as children will continue to affect us in adulthood.
I regularly work with clients on themes such as anxiety and depression, relationship and family issues, self-harming behaviour, suicidal thoughts, anger, eating disorders, loss, health issues and traumatic events both in the present and the past.
My professional qualifications include a BA Honours degree, a Post Graduate Certificate in Education, a Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling, and a Certificate in Counselling Skills Working with Children and Young People.
I hold a current enhanced DBS certificate and am trained in safeguarding.
Vanessa Brown, BA (Hons), Dip. Couns, MBACP
Tel: 07470 248611
See here for further information about my work
Link to my website www.vanessabrowncounselling.co.uk
- “I just wanted to say a massive thank you! I can’t say it enough. You have changed my life for the better and I am so grateful.”
- “To Vanessa, Thank you so much for all your amazing help, thanks to my time with you I have become a much happier person, and more relaxed, and I know myself so much more. My self-esteem and anxiety have improved so much, and I feel much lighter!” (aged 14)
- “Dear Vanessa, thank you so much for helping me to know myself, and showing me how to improve my confidence at this strange time in my life. You really have been a massive help.” (aged 18)
- “Hi Vanessa, from our perspective we have been delighted with the way you have worked with and supported ….. It has helped all of us, as to see her getting to know herself, developing an understanding of her many strengths and growing towards a greater self-acceptance, has been a source of great joy and made for a calmer, happier home. Really, we couldn’t have hoped for more.” (parents of 14 year old)
- “I’ve never had counselling before so I really didn’t know what to expect. From the start, Vanessa was very calming and clear about the different ways in which we could talk things through. She created a safe space for me to express my emotions and worries with no judgement or bias. I have taken a lot away with me from my time with Vanessa, I’ve learnt a lot about myself. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to her in the future.” (aged 26)
- “Hi Vanessa, thank you so much for your help with ….. It is fantastic to see him confident and happy again! You have been such a great help to us.” (parents of 11 year old)
- “Counselling was an awesome experience and I achieved everything I hoped from it. After counselling I feel more confident at home, school and in public. Also I’ve found ways to cope with my anger. It’s helped so much.” (aged 12)
- “I understand myself better. Talking about feelings, my situation, my personality helped. Knowing I was coming every week was good.” (aged 14)
- “I felt I could talk without being judged, and I felt I could talk about my problems and overcome them.” (aged 14)
- “Vanessa, I just wanted to say a MASSIVE thank you! I can’t say it enough. You have changed my life for the better and I am so grateful! (aged 15)
- “I felt as though I was drowning under a burden of fear and sadness with nothing to hold on to. In a sense Vanessa was like a lifebelt, allowing me to offload the burden through counselling and mindfulness meditation.” (aged 65)
- “It has significantly improved my life. I always looked forward to our sessions to express my feelings and concerns. It was a very friendly and professional environment.” (adult)
- “Vanessa counselled my son in his late teens for just over a year helping him with anxiety and a family tragedy. My son drew strength from the weekly meetings knowing his thoughts and perspective on some difficult years would be heard with a fresh and impartial ear. Gradually, with Vanessa’s encouragement and support, he found a way to begin to lead a more independent life.” (parent)