REMEDIAL MASSAGE is one of the most effective and readily available ways to prevent and treat muscle injuries, pain and soreness. Remedial massage is based on the fact that soft tissues (muscles, tendons, ligaments and fascia) respond to touch. Most pain is myofascial (soft tissue) in origin. Although many clients who consult a remedial massage therapist have pain as a result of specific injuries (whiplash, falls, sports injuries, etc.), repetitive strain injuries and other work-related problems, the vast majority originates in postural alignment problems that sometimes go back to childhood and adolescence. Remedial massage is suitable for almost everyone.
Benefits of Massage:
- Relaxes and stretches muscles and soft tissue
- Relieves muscle pain
- Promotes soft tissue repair and helps prevent further injury
- Eases stiffness and increases range of movement
- Improves whole body circulation
- Relieves previously injured or damaged muscle
- Improves posture and conditions the whole body and mind
SPORTS MASSAGE treatments employs stronger techniques, stretching and rehabiliation advice. The techniques used by sports massage practitioners have been developed to ensure effective and efficient results are gained from each massage given. Regardless of your experiences in sport or exercise, whether you exercise socially or compete to an international level, sports massage may have something to offer you. In fact you do not need to be a sports performer to benefit from this deep-reaching type of massage. The benefits above can also help relieve the many day to day problems, repetitive strain injury, sprains, tension, fatigue, that everyone experiences. Many sports massage practitioners work with a great range of clients in assisting with preventive treatment and injury recovery.
Sports massage is designed to:
- Improve circulation and lymphatic flow
- Assist in the removal of metabolic waste
- Sedate or stimulate nerve endings
- Increase or decrease muscle tone
- Increase or decrease muscle length
- Remodel scar tissue when required
- Assist in mental preparation for sporting participation
If you are a sports performer of any level, a sports specific massage can be beneficial at various stages of participation.
Prior to sport activity, sports massage may be used with stretching in order to help sportsmen to loosen, warm and prepare their muscles so that their performance and endurance might be enhanced. Following an athletic event, Sports Massage may be used to relieve pain, prevent stiffness, and return the muscles back to their normal state. It is also beneficial during:
- The conditioning / training phase
- Between competitions competition
- Post travel
- For injury prevention
- Injury recovery and rehabilitation
Training & Professional Regulation
Members of the Sports Massage Association will be able to identify anyone for whom sports massage would be ill-advised or detrimental to their short or long-term well being. They will assess each individual and provide the appropriate massage techniques, and advise on alternative action if required.