Many people will have noticed it’s gaining popularity with athletes across the sporting disciplines in recent years; eye-catching flashes of jazzy coloured tape.
Taping has been around for ages of course but the taping techniques being employed are more than just a style statement – they are proving to be highly effective for pain relief and injury prevention, as well as in the treatment of injuries. Research is showing that myofascial taping has some performance enhancing properties too. Unlike old fashioned sports taping, modern taping techniques facilitate rather than restrict movement.
These taping methods are not just for the sportsmen and women amongst us. They can be invaluable in reducing pain and improving mobility in a wide range of muscle and joint conditions.
Effects of Myofascial taping
- Pain relief
- Improvement of microcirculation of blood and lymph
- Reduction in oedema
- Improvement of muscle function
- Improvement of proprioception
- Facilitation and improvement of motion
- Increased muscle force
- Increased range of motion
- Treatment of scar tissue
- Improvement of sport-specific motion patterns