What is Counselling?
Every one of us will experience problems during our life. Often we can work through these ourselves, with the help of family or friends, but sometimes things just seem to get too difficult and we can feel lost or overwhelmed. Think of a confusing jigsaw when all the pieces are difficult to match together. Talking about a problem in counselling is like sorting out all the pieces so we can begin to build a picture that makes more sense to us.
How does Counselling work?
It can be difficult to talk to people about things that are making us anxious. A counsellor is trained to listen to you very carefully; they will not judge you or tell you what to do. Having thoughts, feelings and worries listened to, clarified and understood by someone who is not directly involved can be hugely beneficial. Often, people find working with a counsellor in a confidential setting and at a regular time enables them to build a trusting relationship within which to understand themselves better, to gain insight and self-awareness, and to develop new strategies for living. Sometimes just ‘talking things through’ can help people to feel clearer or more confident about something they had in mind already. It’s a bit like working in a team; together you can find the best way forward for you.
Counselling is about helping you to work things out for yourself, making decisions and choices and helping you to look at things differently.
What kinds of things do people talk about in Counselling?
Whatever matters to them. Whatever is worrying for them. It could be about lots of different things. Here are some examples of problems and some thoughts and feelings that you may have.
- I feel angry but I don’t know why – I’m worried because I keep feeling like I want to lash out at people. I can’t control myself.
- I am anxious a lot of the time and stuff keeps going round and round in my head – I’m tired of worrying about friends/going out/what I look like/whether I am good enough.
- Death of someone special – I miss this person so much. I’ll never get through this. Nobody understands how bad I’m feeling.
- Feelings about myself – Sometimes I don’t understand how I feel or why I feel like I do. I just don’t feel right.
- Health issues – I am worried about my health. I am struggling to cope with my health issues.
- My relationships with my family are falling apart – I don’t feel happy in my home life, but I don’t know what to do or how to change this.”
So how will you know if counselling is right for you?
Coming to counselling can feel like a very big step and it takes courage. You may be unsure about it. The best way to decide is to find out more about it. My website will give you more information about what counselling is and how it can help, and I am very happy to have a free phone conversation with you and answer any questions you may have; alternatively, your are welcome to send an email.
- “To Vanessa, Thank you so much for all your amazing help, thanks to my time with you I have become a much happier person, and more relaxed, and I know myself so much more. My self-esteem and anxiety have improved so much, and I feel much lighter!” (aged 14)
- “Dear Vanessa, thank you so much for helping me to know myself, and showing me how to improve my confidence at this strange time in my life. You really have been a massive help.” (aged 18)
- “Hi Vanessa, from our perspective we have been delighted with the way you have worked with and supported ….. It has helped all of us, as to see her getting to know herself, developing an understanding of her many strengths and growing towards a greater self-acceptance, has been a source of great joy and made for a calmer, happier home. Really, we couldn’t have hoped for more.” (parents of 14 year old)
- “I’ve never had counselling before so I really didn’t know what to expect. From the start, Vanessa was very calming and clear about the different ways in which we could talk things through. She created a safe space for me to express my emotions and worries with no judgement or bias. I have taken a lot away with me from my time with Vanessa, I’ve learnt a lot about myself. I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to her in the future.” (aged 26)
- “Hi Vanessa, thank you so much for your help with ….. It is fantastic to see him confident and happy again! You have been such a great help to us.” (parents of 11 year old)
- “Counselling was an awesome experience and I achieved everything I hoped from it. After counselling I feel more confident at home, school and in public. Also I’ve found ways to cope with my anger. It’s helped so much.” (aged 12)
- “I understand myself better. Talking about feelings, my situation, my personality helped. Knowing I was coming every week was good.” (aged 14)
Tel: 07470 248611 Email: email@example.com Website link www.vanessabrowncounselling.co.uk
Link to BACP website www.bacpregister.org.uk/public